Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More on the Terrific Twos, Tantrums, and my craziness

Recently, I have read and talked to so many friends and family that I admire on the subject of....well...the tantrums, screaming, and self-centerdness of a two year old...AND the tantrums, screaming, and self-centerdness of a twenty-seven year old. Those two DO NOT work together.

These are the bits of advice and encouragement that I have received that have been playing through my head all week long:

1. "Just take a minute to cool off." - words and wisdom of Tasha Via (www.tashavia.blogspot.com)

2. "Pray through the situation out loud with your child." - words and wisdom from Tasha Via

(When Luke first started exhibiting some strong-willed FITS, I can remember praying through one out loud and when I was done he screamed 'MAY-MEN', his word for AMEN) I think this is an awesome opportunity for me to humble myself as a woman and a mom to God and say, I can not do it and I do not know how to do it. It will also show Luke that God IS our lives, not just night time prayer and church....he needs to see that his Mama needs Christ and we pray one day soon he will see that same need!!!!!!

3. "You are such a great mom."- words from my grandmother

(This is the simplest of phrases, and quite common to most of us, but it means so much to me to hear it from my grandmother. She raised four children of her own. I admire her and it makes me feel so proud and encouraged for her to tell me these things, even though I am not perfect.)

4. "Keep doing what you are doing."- words and wisdom from my mother-in-law

(The days that I see NO FRUIT of mine and Ross' relentless efforts with Luke, this bit of advice gives me a bit of peace and enough endurance to keep working hard!)

5. The following paragraph was written by Leah on www.prayerofhannah.blogspot.com. I couldn't say it better than she did. This is a constant pull on my heart and when it is out of line, it can cause me to bitter on days that are tough with Luke.

"There were many days when Margaret and Kirsti would let me go out and about with them as they "mommed" their children and I learned to appreciate both the joys and the constraints of being a mom. Beth made the comment to me one time that she had to learn how to say no to some things in order to take care of the more important things. This lesson has taught me to focus on my priorities (most important being my relationship with the Lord and caring for my family and home) and not stress myself out when I can't do other things I'd like to do. This is a really tough thing for me because I am a people pleaser and a do-it-myself-er. I always have a million ideas of things I'd like to do, but often they take me away from my young family when they are the ones that need me most. I remind myself that this is just a season and it won't always be like this. But for now I must direct my love and attention on my family."




What would we do without fellow believers to encourage us to press on in godliness?...

1 comment:

The Via Colony said...

I'm right there with you=) Hey, we should meet up. We are so close and we still don't see each other. I could come there or if you're antsy to get out of the house you could come here or we could meet somewhere in the middle...
We could let our boys roll around and scream together=)