Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Do I see Blessings as a Curse?? Surely not...

My last post on "Blessings as a Curse.." found me pondering on my words, my convictions, my heart, my desires, God's heart, God's desires...

I am being convicted that, at times, I see the blessing of my precious boys, as a curse.

Ross and I were both sick yesterday. Ross headed to work, because he's just that kind of man :) and I called my Mom! :) Luke stayed with his Mimi all day long, David cooperated quite nicely, and I slept the day away when I could. That evening, Ross took the boys to a family cookout, and I continued to rest.

I missed Luke so much!

When they got home last night, all I wanted to do was talk to him, ask him questions, play with him (from the couch in a reclining position:) ), and just plain enjoy him. I relished being with him. I really did.

God began to prick my heart.

Why do I not ENJOY my blessing everyday? Why do I struggle with losing my temper with him? Why do I wish Mimi or Mammy would PLEASE come get him? Why do I live for nap time? All the while being irritated until those things come. Then who gets the attitude when the day is done? My sweet husband.


What a wasteful way to live as a mom and a wife. BUT....

I am FREE and FORGIVEN in Christ. I do not have to live this way!! I KNOW I cannot be a good Mom or wife on my own. I cannot love my children the way they need to be loved. I cannot serve and love Ross in the ways that he needs to be served and loved. I cannot wake up tomorrow morning and say, "OK, today I am going to try really hard not to loose my temper, and to enjoy Luke." I've tried it, and my sinfulness rears its ugly head at Luke's first meltdown. I have to deperately and humbly ask for patience, love, humility, etc...from Christ...constantly.

I am thankful for Christ's forgiveness. I am thankful for my husbands forgiveness. And I am thankful that I can excercise asking Luke's forgiveness now.

I need rest. I need time away. I LOVE IT!!! It is a BLESSING too! Fine, ok, TRUE, BUT what if it doesn't come? How will I respond? I am desperate for Christ.

4 comments:

The Via Colony said...

Wow, that is exactly what I needed today, Shannon. Thank you!!! I have been going crazy yesterday and today. Part of it is we are just getting back home but in less than 2 weeks we leave again for 2 other gigs. It's not an excuse, it is our the way God has laid out our lives now, but I feel exhausted and I like I just can't keep up sometimes. The kids are both going through their terrible two's together and the meltdowns are unbearable. Thank you for this reminder...

Leah F said...

Shannon,
Your thoughtfulness and honesty are inspiring. As I am nearing the end of my 2nd pregnancy, I find myself swinging back and forth between REALLY cherishing all the time I have with Georgia, and REALLY wanting her to nap a little longer so I can rest/read/surf the web/etc. Thank you for the convicting words that the Lord has led you to speak.

By the way, we do not still live in the old 'hood'. We bought a house in March that is not far from the campus, and we love it--though at times we miss the community of FV:-)

Heather said...

How i feel that way too at times and I just have one! I actually told Adam last night that i was done and one was enough! But, of course, that was after such a rough day. Thanks for the encouragement, it is always good to hear that I am not the only one who has those thoughts!

andiewade said...

i struggle with this sooooo much! i had my own little meltdown today when i was trying to get the kids out the door to run all these errands and then chuck called asking me if i could do one more thing (which was just dropping something off, but in my sinful mind i was thinking "i can't possibly do one more thing!") and lucas was crying and rachel was whining... UGH! but what was there to really be upset about? i have my beautiful family! it's so hard to be patient. it's nice to read when other moms have the same struggles i do. children are so convicting :)