Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Small" Ways God Works

Today we stopped by my mother-in-laws office to drop off a gift for my nephew Aden. As we were loading up in the car, Luke said, "I want to go to Mammy's house and make cakes, and take to sick people." I explained to him that Mammy was still working and he could go another weekend, assuring him that he would do it again soon. That is something special that they do together, and he treasures it just as much as she does. I think it is a pretty awesome thing that he is learning hospitality from his grandmother. You see, I believe God orchestrated that relationship perfectly in our lives, and one reason being that she has a tremendous gift for hospitality. I on the other hand do not! I enjoy it, but it is not my strength. My boys get to experience a godly example of genuine hospitality through their grandmother, whereas they would not experience it as strongly through me!

I thought about how this would impact them, and I know exactly how it will. My grandmother BJ had the same influence on me. She has a genuine heart for thoughtfulness. Not that my mother does not, we all know how sweetly unselfish she is:) But my BJ has always been very active an attentive to others needs and just plain good at good old Southern etiquette. She never forgets a birthday card, an anniversary, a bereavement card, or a check up call. She knows where the forks go on the table, and if you are supposed to serve punch or tea at a 5:00 pm Shower :) ...I STILL call her when I host anything, to make sure it is halfway appropriate ;) I love these things about her and it has greatly impacted my life.

I love how God orchestrates the perfect people for His perfect plan...

Think about someone God placed perfectly in your family's life and thank Him for them:)

1 comment:

KatieB said...

That is sooo sweet... and mom had already told me how sweet Luke was walking around her office with the gift for Aden, saying "I brought AA his bug kit". So precious!! I really do wish Aden and Luke had more time together to formulate a strong relationship with each other!!

And yes, my mother sure does have a gift for hospitality and making others feel good and loved!