Monday, February 16, 2009

What Does Your Man REALLY Need?

Our Valentine Weekend:

Friday- Food and Fun with Ross' family

Saturday- Hot lunch date with my husband and a little shopping, the boys went to my Mom and Dads, started painting our kitchen cabinets!!

Sunday- church, food and fun with Ross' family again, church again-Marriage class :)

Valentine's Gifts:

For Ross: card and day planner for work
From Ross: a card with 20 things he loves about me...some of these things I didn't even KNOW and we started dating 13 years ago!! That was fun...and a facial mask from Mary Kay :)....

I will have to say, I loved our lunch date, but my favorite part of the weekend was last nights Marriage Class at church. This week and next are for the Women. We are going to be encouraged and commanded to be the Helper and Submissive to our Husbands.

Me? Not a helper? Not submissive? I think I do pretty good...compared to a lot of other women.

How short I have fallen in these areas. Other women should not be my standard. God's commandments to me as a woman are my standards. They are commandments that are FULL of richness and will result in a thriving marriage. That is something to be excited about...

I wish I could have taped the class and posted it on here. I was so excited when we left :) I can't write everything we learned, but here is something that really struck my heart...

Our leader (the wife is teaching the part to the women, although the men are still with us) said that on Sundays she would cook a HUGE meal at lunch for her pastor husband. She just knew this thrilled his soul. She would exhaust herself "helping"/serving her husband...all the while, he would have been content with a ham sandwich. She never asked. He would have prefered a small lunch and more time talking about "work" or getting feedback from his wife...

Was her desire to serve her husband wrong? NO! But was she being what he needed her to be? NO!!

I wonder how much effort I put into things for Ross that he might not care so much about?? How much am I missing out on serving him in the areas that he REALLY NEEDS? Part of my homework from class, is to ask him what he needs...and to not get angry when he tells me :)!!

So, ask your husband..."How can I be a better helper to you?"....and yes, he is allowed to say sex ;)

We were blessed and look forward to being encouraged to strive for a godly and fulfilling marriage:)

3 comments:

The Via Colony said...

Shannon, that is a GREAT post!!!

Sturgis Family said...

LOL! Boy, God sure knows what we need when we need it! My husband and I just finished an argument about how he didn't recognize that I spent 5 hours cleaning the house today. I've never read your blog before and God led me straight here this minute to see your notes about your marriage class. I guess a clean house doesn't excite him! Back to the drawing board...
Katie Sturgis

Shannon Bradley said...

Katie S.,
Thanks for the comment! I have known him since I was 15 and I am just know asking what the man needs!!!! ;)
I have been so encouraged by the refreshment God's word has brought and what we are going to be learning through this class! Thanks for reading!